Beamformer time course

Wed May 17 10:55:33 CEST 2006

Hi Marie,

It is possible to use the cfg.keepfilter='yes' option both with lcmv
and with dics, and also both techniques are implemented such that
they will re-use the previously computed filters. So you can first do
dics with keepfilter, and then use those filters in the subsequent
lcmv analysis.

That would look like this:

cfg = []
cfg.method = dics
cfg.dics.realfilter = yes    <=== see below
cfg.keepfilter = yes
source_d = sourceanalysis(cfg, freq)

cfg = []
cfg.method = lcmv
cfg.keepfilter = no
cfg.grid = grid    <=== see below
source_l = sourceanalysis(cfg, timelock)

The cfg.grid option allows to specify precomputed leadfields (i.e.
the output of prepare_leadfield), but also precomputed filters, which
is done here. The easiest is then to do grid=source2grid(source_d)
after the dics and before the lcmv analysis. The source2grid helper
function strips all irrelevant elements from the source_d structure
and will only retain the information that is relevant for the
sourceanalysis on the second dataset. It assumes that you use exactly
the same channels in both analyses.

A conceptual problem that you will run into is that, according to the
original description of dics (gross 2001), the filters are complex-
valued. Multiplying these complex filters with real data will result
in complex valued source projections, which is weird to say the
least. I consider that to be an error in the DICS algorithm. The
solution for that is that our implementation, which by default will
return complex filters in accordance with the original DICS
description, can also use and return real-valued filters. That is
enabled by the (undocumented) option cfg.dics.realfilter='yes'.

Please download the latest (i..e. yesterdays) version of fieldtrip
from the FTP, and replace fieldtrip/source2grid.m and fieldtrip/
private/beamformer.m with the attached updated functions (I just
tested the procedure described above, and there were a few details in
the code that had to be changed).

best regards,
Robert