Statistics for coherence in a within-subject experiment

Thu Jun 22 09:25:56 CEST 2006

Hi Jurij

The parametric tests that you suggest are not implemented in
FieldTrip. In the clusterrandanalysis function we use a randomization
approach for statistical testing. It is a non-parametrical approach,
and the test statistic consists of a parametrtical statistic per time-
frequency-channel, which is clustered and summed over neighbouring
timepoints/frequencies/channels. Not the single-sample statistic, but
the clustersum is used for the statistical test, thereby increasing
sensitivity and controlling for  multiple comparisons. The single
sample (time-frequency-channel) statistic has to be chosen to match
with the experimental design (e.g. F or F) and the randomization/
permutation of the data between the subjects and conditions has to be
adequate (in your case you want to shuffle data between conditions
but only within each subject). That determines the statistic to use.
I suggest that you go over the clusterrandanalysis tutorial at
http://www2.ru.nl/fcdonders/fieldtrip/doku.php?
id=fieldtrip:documentation:tutorial:clusterrandanalysis

best regards,
Robert