Confidence intervals for evoked potentials

Jasper Poort j.poort at NIN.KNAW.NL
Tue Jul 11 11:43:49 CEST 2006

Hi all, I have some questions regarding confidence intervals for timelocked data in FieldTrip. I noted that a field .var is returned by timelockanalysis

line 510 timelockanalysis
% compute the variance
tmp1 = repmat(dofvec(:)', [nchan 1]);
tmp2 = repmat(dofvec(:)', [nchan 1])-1;
var = (ss - (s.^2)./tmp1) ./ tmp2;

Assuming that the sampling distribution is normal I can presumably use this field for computation of confidence intervals of the .avg field?
Is nonparametric estimation of variance using a bootstrap or jackknife also implemented somewhere? In general I'm just curious to know how others compute confidence intervals for evoked potentials in FieldTrip, for example to get an idea at what point in time two conditions start to differ,

best regards, Jasper