Volume conduction models for EEG

Mon Apr 24 21:59:33 CEST 2006

Hi Juan

On 24 Apr 2006, at 16:55, Juan Civeira wrote:
> I am making my master thesis about coherent sources using data from
> EEG.
>
> I have done the tutorial of beamforming and I have done several
> analysis
> with my own data and the results are quite good but I know that
> they can be
> better.

You can use a standard realistic volume conductor model in Fieldtrip.
Such a model is not yet available from the fieldtrip homepage or ftp
server, but recently I did construct a standard BEM model for
Fieldtrip bvased on the MNI/SPM brain. It is included in the beta
version of the DIPFIT2 plugin for EEGLAB (the dipfit plugin uses a
subset of Fieldtrip). See http://www.sccn.ucsd.edu/eeglab/
eeglab5.0b.html

> I have used the multiple spheres model and now I want to use a
> realistic
> model but I donĀ“t have the software. I have looked for it on the
> internet
> but I only found commercial software.

I can think of Curry, EMSE, BESA, ASA as commercial software. You can
try to get a try-out copy of one of those software products.

> Does anyone know any freeware to create a realistic model for EEG?
> I have
> the data and I also have a MRI and I want to use them all for
> displaying the
> results.

Brainstorm from Mosher and colleagues is open source and includes a
complete implementation of BEM for EEG. See the external links page
on the fieldtrip site.

> Moreover, Fieldtrip supports  all forward models supported by the
> Neuromag
> meg-calc toolbox. Is there any way of making one of those models
> without
> using the commercial software?

No, the meg-calc toolbox is commercial, and relies on additional
software from Neuromag.

best regards,
Robert

Robert Oostenveld, PhD
F.C. Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Radboud University Nijmegen
phone: +31-24-3619695
http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/