Problem with data from BESA

Stephan Moratti stephan.moratti at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Wed Nov 16 13:13:33 CET 2005

Hi Michael,

I often use BESA exported data with many different tools. One problem I
encountered often, is that the coordinate system applied was not
compatible. Sometimes I had to shift the whole thing by 90 degrees or so.
As you are using sfp files (containing x,y,z coordinates), this could be
the problem. But I am not sure as I havent't imported to fieldtrip yet.
Maybe just a hint, maybe not.

Stephan

At 12:21 16.11.2005 +0100, you wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>  EEG data from BESA (std 81 electrodes, average refrence) using the .mul
>format and the corresponding .sfp file to import the electrode locations.
>The import into fieldtrip seems to work fine with these formats (it didn't
>when I tried .avr and .elp...). However, the maps look very different from
>what I see in BESA (more like something differentiated / inverted from the
>BESA maps - the foci are clearly shifted). Do I have to tell Fieldtrip
>somewhere that this is EEG data, so that it doesn't do the things it would
>when dealing with MEG gradiometer data? Or is there something I have to do
>to let fieldtrip know that the data are average reference data. I can't
>find anything in the tutorials on this matter.
>
> Thank you very much for any help on this,
>
> Michael Wibral
>
> M. Wibral Dipl. Phys.
> Max Planck Institute for Brain Research
> Dept. Neurophysiology