about cluster randomization analysis

Marco Buiatti marco.buiatti at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 8 12:25:51 CET 2005

Dear Vladimir and Eric,
 thank you for your accurate responses. I fully understand from your
arguments that temporally zooming on clusters is definitely wrong. Still, I
wonder whether and how it is possible to use cluster randomization analysis
cases in which it is difficult to formulate a precise hypothesis about when
to expect an effect (for example, in infants), or cases in which an
unexpected effect arises from a t-test. Do you think it would be correct to
slide a relatively large (width of 200ms? 400ms? to be chosen a priori of
course) window through the epochs and compute cluster randomization analysis
for each latency to explore dubious significant t-test clusters?
 Another related question: I computed a post-hoc non kosher tuning of the
window around the most significative cluster in my data, and I saw that it
is significative (p<0.05) if the window edges exceed of about 50 ms the
cluster edges (since the cluster is about 70 ms long, the whole window is
about 170 ms long); but if I take longer windows, the p-value increases
quite rapidly (I'm running at least 500 random draws for each window, and
checking that the result does not depend on the number of draws). Do you
have such instabilities in your data or should I think that the effect
relative to my cluster is definitely too weak? Or maybe my data are not
clean enough?
 About the minimum number of channels: I understand and agree that it is set
only in space. Maybe it would help saying it explicitly on the tutorial.
 About the reference: my non kosher approach does not include changing the
reference to chase a significant effect! My previous e-mail was probably
misleading about that.
 Thank you and have a good day,
 Marco

--
Marco Buiatti - Post Doc

Cognitive Neuroimaging Unit - INSERM U562
Service Hospitalier Frederic Joliot, CEA/DRM/DSV
4 Place du general Leclerc, 91401 Orsay cedex, France
Telephone: +33 1 69 86 77 65 Fax: +33 1 69 86 78 16
E-mail: marco.buiatti at gmail.com Web: www.unicog.org <http://www.unicog.org>