Source coherence

Mon May 23 17:03:20 CEST 2005

Hi Masao,

I had a look at your data, and at the computations that you perfomed
for the analysis. Your frequencies of interest are 4.6 and 5Hz, and
your time windows are 10 seconds long (right?).

That means that you have an intrinsic frequency resolution of 0.1 Hz,
which is enough to separate the two frequencies. But looking at your
configuration, you seem to be using multitapering with a frequency
smoothing of 0.5 Hz. That means that you are using ~5 tapers and that
the two frequencies of interest will be smeared into each other. If you
want to use multitapering, you should decrease the cfg.tapsmofrq to
less than 0.4 (e.g. 0.2). But I doubt whether you should use frequency
smoothing here at all, since the frequencies are so low and only
separated by a small amount. Better not use multitapering: in
freqanalysis do cfg.taper='hanning' instead of the default 'dpss'.

Furthermore, I suggest that you also look at the coherence between all
MEG channels and the REF21 for the 46Hz and the REF11 for the 50Hz
(i.e. the reference channel with which there probably should not be any
coherence). You did not include those in your crsspctrm channel
combinations.

I started by looking at power. There seems to be quite some temporal
and low-occipital (neck?) power in both conditions, which might be
indicative of artifacts (although EMG typically peaks at much higher
frequencies). That is something that you might want to check.