Govindan

rathinaswamy bavanandan govindan rbg26471 at YAHOO.COM
Mon Jun 27 15:51:28 CEST 2005

Dear Litvak,
I am not using Fieldtrip, but I can try to address
your query. Subtracting one spectrum from other is not
a correct way to compare two spectra. On the
otherhand, you can consider the ratio of the two
spectra.

Further, in the spectral analysis, no one is
interested in the power in all the frequency bands but
in a specific frequency band! So, in that case you can
calculate the signal to noise ratio (SNR) for both
processes and compare the SNR of the two processes!

You don't have to search for a complicated formula to
compute SNR. Just sum up the powers in the desired
frequency range and divide by the sum of powers in all
the frequencies up to Nyquist frequency. In this
definition care should be taken to avoid the effects
due to filter. If you are using bandpass filter, say
up to 80 Hz, then restrict your second summation only
up to the frequency band of 80 Hz.

Best regards
Govindan
--- Litvak Vladimir <litvak at TECHUNIX.TECHNION.AC.IL>