FieldTrip question

Tue Jan 25 09:13:15 CET 2005

On 24 Jan 2005, at 16:55, Michael Zvyagintsev wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
> I've just started to use fieldtrip for MEG data analysis.
> I downloaded it and tried. But I found that during preprocessing there
> are no files for 'remove_eog' and 'remove_mcg'.
> Probably I downloaded something wrong, but it does not look like...
> Could you send me these files or explain what to do with these steps.
> Thanks,
> Mikhail Zvyagintsev, MD, Bachelor of Informatic

Dear Michael,

The ECG removal was originally implemented for our MEG system (i.e. it
has to remove the magnetocardiogram that we see in some subjects), but
sofar we are not yet sufficiently confident about the results to
include the remove_mcg subfunction that does the actial work in the
release version.

The EOG removal has not been implemented yet. Only a so called "hook"
was implemented for it in the preprocessing routine so that someone who
was willing to implement it could do it in a separate function without
changes to the preprocessing function.

Since both functions are not included in the release version, they are
also not documented in the help and the default value for both is "no".
I suggest for the moment that you stick to these default. Our usual
procedure is to use the artefact detection routines (rejectartifact)
and we reject the data in those trials (or parts of trials) that are
contaminated by artefacts.

best regards,
Robert

PS If you are particularly interested in this functionality, we can
discuss whether and how to implement it in the release version.

Robert Oostenveld, PhD
F.C. Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
Radboud University Nijmegen
phone: +31-24-3619695
http://www.ru.nl/fcdonders/