about fieldtrip / from Barcelona

Thu Feb 10 16:38:06 CET 2005

Hi David,

On 9 Feb 2005, at 19:46, DAVID CUCURELL VEGA wrote:

> Hi Robert.
> I'm David Cucurell and I'm trying to finish my studies of physics. At
> the same
> time, I'm collaborating in General Psychology Department of
> Universidad de
> Barcelona, doing tasks about cognitive neuroscience. In my case, I'm
> working in
> time-frecuency analysis of EEG of one study of 32 subjects. I have
> done a
> preeliminar study of one channel (Fz) with EEGLAB, but trying to find
> another
> toolboxes I have found  fieldtrip. But I have problems, because I'm
> just
> starting with Matlab and to me is difficult to understand your .pdf
> about time-
> frecuency analysis. So maybe this is not the way, but I write you to
> ask if it
> is  possible to get a more extensive tutorial about fieldtrip. For our
> group is
> important, because EEG is one of the most important tools we use in our
> research. Also we are using fMRI and now DTI, so we are trying to keep
> us
> informed about the last developments in this analysis tools.
>
> Thanks and apologyze again if this is not the most correct way to
> contact to you
>
> David Cucurell
> Dep. Psicologia Bàsica
> Universitat de Barcelona
> Pg. de la Vall d'Hebron, 171
> 08035 Barcelona (Spain)

The tutorial documentation that we are providing is assuming a basic
knowledge about timefrequency analysis in general and wavelets in
particular, and is mainly meant to get started with our fieldtrip
toolbox.

If you want to know more about wavelets, you might consider having a
look at http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/wavelet/.
Although we are not using the wavelet toolbox ourselves (we implemented
it differently), I commonly find the Matlab documentation quite good
(on a technical level), and it does include many examples and demo's
that you might try out. Furthermore, it will also help you to get a
better knowledge of the Matlab environment.

The page
http://www.mathworks.com/access/helpdesk/help/toolbox/wavelet/
ch01_in3.html#1022591 will give you some pointers to other background
material.

best regards,
Robert

PS I have forwarded your mail to the fieldtrip email discussion list,
as other people might be interested in it as well. If you want to join
the discussion list (or just read it without joining), please visit
http://nic.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html