[clean-list] Building Clean 2.2 on Mac OS X

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Nov 9 22:59:26 MET 2010

http://wiki.clean.cs.ru.nl/Download_Clean
provides binaries for Windows, Linux, and "Mac ... (PowerPC, 32bit)".

I'm typing on a Mac OS X 10.6.4 (Intel Core 2 Duo, 32- and 64-bit)
machine, and it would be nice to have Clean on it.

The Download_Clean page also says
	Source code
	Windows and Mac complete sources
	Clean2.2Sources.zip

I downloaded that zipfile and unzipped it.
I cannot find any instructions about how to build it.
If we look inside RuntimeSystem/, for example,
	makefile		Windows
	Makefile.linux		what it says
	Makefile.solaris	what it says (SPARC only)
	Worksheet		For Mac OS Classic with mrc

So what do I do to get Clean on a modern Mac?

The web site home page http://wiki.clean.cs.ru.nl/Clean
says "As of July 2010, this is the new home of Clean",
so I expected that things would be reasonably current.
On downloading the "Linux" sources in the hope that they'd
build on Mac OS X, I found the date to be 2006.

Ah.  I just found http://wiki.clean.cs.ru.nl/Clean_on_Mac_OS_X
much of which is labelled "TODO".  Big thanks to the author of
that page; I hope it's finished soon.