[Fwd: Re: [clean-list] Clean versus Haskell]

Philippos Apolinarius phi500ac at yahoo.ca
Fri Oct 16 00:25:05 MEST 2009

Hi, Simon.

I ported the array benchmark to a slower machine, in order to detect smaller variations in speed. Clean compiler does not show huge differences in speed when one switches from boxed to unboxed arrays, or from lazy to strict arrays. As you can see below, adding unboxed annotation, or strictness annotation does not change performance noticeably. This is a feature that I like in Clean, and I would like to see in Haskell. Correct programs are almost equally fast. Therefore, the programmer does not need to worry about boxed, unboxed, strict or lazy applications. What I miss in Clean is an interpreter, like GHCi. I am writing a somewhat large genetic programming system to  diagnostic electric installations, and electronic circuits.  I mean, I am working for people who are writing the programs and designing the circuits. The programs are working in Lisp and Scheme (SBCL and Gambit). The Clean version is almost functional. I am struggling with the Haskell
 version. I will write a private letter to you explaining how the Clean program works. I wonder whether you could give me some hints on how to port it to Haskell. Since Haskell has an interpreter, I think that it could be used to test the generated applications, and calculate the fitness function.

/* BOXED LAZY
D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>boxedlazy
280000000
Execution: 0.04  Garbage collection: 0.17  Total: 0.21

D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>boxedlazy
280000000
Execution: 0.06  Garbage collection: 0.17  Total: 0.23

D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>boxedlazy
280000000
Execution: 0.04  Garbage collection: 0.17  Total: 0.21
*/
module boxedlazy
import StdEnv

fn i a acc | i<1 = acc
fn i a=:{[i]=b} acc
   # a= {a&[i]= b+3.0}
   # (c, a)= a![i]
   = fn (i-1) a (c+acc)

Start= fn 2000000 vt 0.0
 where
    vt:: .{Real}
    vt = createArray 2000001 137.0

module arrays
import StdEnv

fn i a acc | i<1 = acc
fn i a=:{[i]=b} acc
   # a= {a&[i]= b+3.0}
   # (c, a)= a![i]
   = fn (i-1) a (c+acc)

Start= fn 2000000 vt 0.0
 where
    vt:: .{#Real}
    vt = createArray 2000001 137.0

/* unboxedlazy
D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>unboxedlazy.exe
280000000
Execution: 0.03  Garbage collection: 0.00  Total: 0.03

D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>unboxedlazy.exe
280000000
Execution: 0.04  Garbage collection: 0.00  Total: 0.04

D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>unboxedlazy.exe
280000000
Execution: 0.03  Garbage collection: 0.00  Total: 0.03
*/
module unboxedlazy
import StdEnv

fn i a acc | i<1 = acc
fn i a=:{[i]=b} acc
   # a= {a&[i]= b+3.0}
   # (c, a)= a![i]
   = fn (i-1) a (c+acc)

Start= fn 2000000 vt 0.0
 where
    vt:: .{#Real}
    vt = createArray 2000001 137.0

/* unboxedstrict
D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>unboxedstrict.exe
280000000
Execution: 0.03  Garbage collection: 0.00  Total: 0.03

D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>unboxedstrict.exe
280000000
Execution: 0.04  Garbage collection: 0.00  Total: 0.04

D:\Clean 2.2\geneticprog\bench>unboxedstrict.exe
280000000
Execution: 0.04  Garbage collection: 0.00  Total: 0.04

*/
module unboxedstrict