[clean-list] Concurrent/parallel threads in CLEAN

Marco Kesseler m.kesseler at xs4all.nl
Fri May 8 20:20:27 MEST 2009

Hi John,

Just wondering: What is too slow to support a shared heap? Two times
slower? Ten times?

It is valuable to be able to do some multithreading no matter what the
processing speed becomes. Also from an academic point of view. It made
sense more than a decade ago, why not now?

It all depends on the application that one wants to devise. So just
make it an optional feature.

I am not against message passing, but it makes a lot of sense to have
some parallelism along the lines of good old {P} and {I}. For no other
reason than that explicit message passing is not what makes a
functional language stand out.

I am sure that you could have a basic setup running within a month (I
don't want to pressure you).

best regards,
Marco