[clean-list] Clean2.2 on 64bit (X)Ubuntu - please help in completing the Clean wiki walkthrough

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Fri Jan 16 17:59:02 MET 2009

Nick Rudnick wrote:
>Hmmm...
>
>thank you for this hint, it explains a lot, John... I have already put a message on top of the wiki page.
>
>(In fact, I remember there was some problem with the binary version, what usually leads me to trying the sources.)
>
>Of course, I will study Clean2.2_boot.tar.gz at next.
>
>As you have a binary 64bit release, would you completely discourage me from trying to continue the building from the sources on a 64bit Linux?

No, but because a large part of the compiler is written in Clean, you need
to install the binary release first. Then you should be able to recompile
the compiler.

The Clean2.2_boot version bootstraps the compiler using the abc (intermediate)
code generated for the compiler.

>Did somebody encounter special difficulties which I better would worry about?

No, not with the 64 bit binary version. On 32 bit systems it is often
necessary to use the source (boot) version because of the poor binary
compatibility of linux.

Kind regards,

John van Groningen