[clean-list] Compiling under Linux

Philippos Apolinarius phi500ac at yahoo.ca
Sat Dec 1 15:57:22 MET 2007

Since Clean does not offer a practical GUI for Linux, I am trying to create a Linux port of the  JAPI GUI Library for Clean. There is a problem here: I know very little about computer science, compilers, linkers, C, etc.  In any case, here is what I did:

1 --- On windows, the JAPI GUI for Clean has four files in C, that one should compile and link as a dynamic library:

gcc -shared fileselect.o image.o japilib.o japi4c.o -lwsock32 -o reco.dll

This generates a DLL. Then one must add an entry list for the DLL:

reco.dll
j_start
j_frame
j_textfield
j_textarea
j_button
etc.

Using the above entry list file, it is quite easy to call the GUI functions from Clean.

2 --- On Linux, I compiled the four C files, and linked them as a dynamic library, exactly as on Windows.

gcc -shared fileselect.o image.o japilib.o japi4c.o  -o reco.so

The problem is that I do not know how to link the dynamic library to a Clean program from Linux. I mean, since Clean does not have an IDE for Linux, I guess that I need to use  command line options.  Suggestions, instructions and feedback are welcome.  BTW if anybody wants to help me with this very simple project, I can send him/her the C sources for building the GUI  library (Windows and Linux); it is working on Windows, but not on Linux. Since it depends only on the Java machine to work, porting it to Linux should be a cinch.