[clean-list] Interfacing Clean with C code (or other languages)

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Fri Sep 14 18:00:57 MEST 2007

Chris Khoo wrote:

>I'm looking to evaluate Clean as a language for a long term project.  I was wondering whether it has some sort of foreign function interface so it can interface with C code (and possibly other languages for that matter).

Yes, C functions can be called from Clean. The tool htoclean can
generate a Clean interface using prototypes of C functions (see
Help/CallingCFromClean.html).

Clean functions (with the right type) can be called from C using foreign export.

On windows, functions in a dll can be called using the C or WinAPi calling
convention. A dll with Clean code can be generated, and functions in this
dll that are exported using foreign export can be called using the C or WinAPI
calling convention.

Kind regards,

John van Groningen