[clean-list] Synonym type and Universal type

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Tue May 22 13:47:13 MEST 2007

lethevert wrote:
>..
>I found another type of error in the following codes.
>Maybe they have the same cause as the previous problem and
>should be refected by the compiler.
>
>The code
>
>=======================================
>::Number a | Arith a :== a
>
>Start :: Number String
>Start = "aaa"
>=======================================
>
>and
>
>=======================================
>::Number a | Arith a = Number a
>
>Start :: Number String
>Start = Number "aaa"
>
>can be compiled and executed successfully.

Contexts in type definitions and synonyms were implemented in the Clean
compilers before version 2.0. The current compiler does not support this,
but the parser still accepts the contexts, although the rest of the compiler
ignores these contexts. I will remove the parsing of these contexts from
the compiler.

Kind regards,

John van Groningen