[clean-list] (no subject)

Timothy Hochberg tim.hochberg at ieee.org
Thu Feb 22 04:05:45 MET 2007

I've been playing with Clean for a few weeks now and I have a few questions
and observations, more about infrastructure of Clean than the language
itself:

* The profiler overflows for me: I tend to get negative time value, which
makes it difficult to interpret the results. It's possible that this is
related to running the code on a dual core processor since I didn't
encounter this when I ran similar code on a single core machine. I'm not
certain though, since it wasn't exactly the same code. Is this a known
issue? I can provide examples if you like.

* While I'm on the subject, is there some documentation on how to interpret
the mangled names that show up in the profiler? "g_cl;100;54;82" for
example? I'm guessing that this is some anonymous function defined on line
100? Is that correct? And is there more information that can be deduced from
the name?

* The first time some text is drawn in the window, it seems to go to the
wrong place. In particular the example in section 5.4.3 of the ObjectIO
tutorial:
    example = drawAt zero "Pop"
puts the text in the wrong place until the window is resized. If the window
is minimized and then restored, the text is once again in the wrong place.

* The non ObjectIO games have a horrible, seizure inducing flicker on my
machine. Otherwise they're pretty cool.

* Some of the examples run way too fast. Bounce, for example, needed some
delay inserted before I could see what was going on.

* Having the IDE written in Clean is good marketing! However, the IDE seems
needlessly crippled by having only a single level of undo. Is there some way
of activating multi level undo that I am missing? It would also be nice to
be able to bind block comment (AKA "Add Prefix") to a key, but it doesn't
look like that is possible.

* I'm interested in calling into clean from another language (Python to be
specific). I found some documentation on how to call into Clean as long as I
use Ints[1]. A little bit more digging[2] revealed that there is some
experimental code to allow Reals and Strings and maybe someday {#Int} and
{#Real}. For the stuff I'd like to try those last two would be critical, so
let this be a vote for getting those implemented.

[1] http://www.xs4all.nl/~keslr/functional/clean/howto/cleandll.html
[2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.clean/883

That's about it for now. Thanks for the interesting tool. And kudos on the
Clean book, which is one of the best intro functional programming texts that
I've seen.

All of this is running with Clean 2.2 under Window XP on a Core Duo
processor.

--

//=][=\\

tim.hochberg at ieee.org