[clean-list] GUI for Clean

Reny Cury Filho renycury at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 21 21:18:08 MEST 2006

I am working on tools for typesetting electric and
electronic circuits. I also know people who are
working with typesetting chemical formulae, or working
on a Clean Computer Algebra package.
Clean has many features that make easier to implement
the foresaid tools. For instance, it generates small
executable files, that do not depend on huge DLL; this
facilitate the distribution, and installation.
However, Clean has a serous drawback: It does not have
a portable GUI. Yes, there is Object IO, but it does
not work on Linux. I do not like Linux, and work with
Windows, but let us face it: Most people connected
with universities work with Linux; Windows does not
have good text editors; if you do not believe it, try
typesetting a Chemical formula in windows, or writing
comments to a Hieroglyphic text, or design an electric
circuit.

I am not asking for something complex like Object IO.
I am suggesting a simple binding to a GUI server, like
tclkit, Zoom, or GTK-server. I prefer tclkit, since it
is simpler, and has a greater aesthetic value. I
suppose that someone who knows Clean enough could do
such a binding in a couple of hours. Bindings for
hicken are has few lines of code, and could serve of
model. Basically, the binding should have a process
firing mechanism, that would open the tclkit server,
and means to write and read ports from tclkit. One
hundred line of code would be enough. You may ask: Why
don't you do it? The fact is that I do not know enough
Clean for the task. But is some one could find the
time for it, Clean programmers could develop cross
platform GUI.