[clean-list] Object I/O on different than windows platforms

Arjen van Weelden A.vanWeelden at cs.ru.nl
Tue Jun 20 19:50:16 MEST 2006

Hi Juraj,

Juraj Hercek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is Object I/O library ported to linux or BSD systems?  I remember I
> couldn't even compile Xview Toolkit on linux with modern gcc (didn't try
> it on BSD yet) which is a prerequisite for Object I/O. And even if I
> could compile it, there's a note in clean's README that "There are
> several problems with the X windows implementation of the Clean IO
> library." Anyways it seems that X View Toolkit is unmaintained, generic
> sources I've googled for were from 90's of previous century... So, I
> have couple of questions:
>
> 1) What is the reason for having X View Toolkit as a low level graphics
> library?

That, I don't know. At the time the old I/O 0.8 was implemented, GTK and
QT were not the `standards' they are nowadays. The (new) Object I/O only
works on Windows and MacOS, there was never a port to Xview.

> 2) Did anyone think about making Object I/O working with GTK instead of
> XView Toolkit?

Yes, some people have worked on a GTK version of Object I/O. I don't
know the details nor the status of the project.

> 3) I read on clean web page that TCP library is dependent Object I/O, is
> there any possibility to run TCP library without Object I/O on linux?

Yes, one could separate the low-level TCP/IP bindings from the Object
I/O stuff. I did that once and used it on both Windows and Linux. All
platform specifics are in a single small C file (sockets are almost
platform independent). The code is currently not in a
polished-ready-for-release-as-a-library form, but I'll try to make it
available this week. Especially the error handling is non-existing, but
it might be a start, please improve it.