[clean-list] status of Clean

Rinus Plasmeijer rinus at cs.ru.nl
Wed May 31 11:19:51 MEST 2006

We intend to initially only accept Haskell 98 compatible code.
So, if the standard library is expressed in Haskell '98, it should work.

The idea is that you can easily merge Haskell '98 code with Clean code.
So one can have a Haskell module and add / call Clean code (e.g. use
uniqueness in Haskell), and the other way around.
This may lead to syntactic conflicts in certain cases, therefore there is
special syntax to express in the Haskell world that one uses certain Clean
constructs, and the other way around.
Also currently one has to split up a Haskell module in an implementation and
definition module by hand.
This is not too difficult, one can think of generating it automatically.

Since we only have limited man power and there are some other things to
finish (like a 64 bits version),
it will take some time before we officially release this new version of
Clean.

Greetings,

Rinus