[clean-list] Clean 2.1.1 Linux installation problem

John van Groningen johnvg at cs.ru.nl
Thu May 11 16:06:56 MEST 2006

Juraj Hercek wrote:
>I have a problem with installation of clean (without I/O) on linux. Make throws this error:
>
>$ make
>Generating code for StdOverloadedList
>Generating code for StdGeneric
>make[1]: *** No rule to make target `/tmp/clean/lib/stdenv/Clean System
>Files/StdBool.abc', needed by `install'.  Stop.
>make: *** [install_stdenv] Error 2
>
>The full log with some details is available at https://www.hck.sk/clean/install_log.txt
>Any idea what's wrong (with me)?

The 'Makefile' in the 'stdenv' directory contain the following rule for target:
`/tmp/clean/lib/stdenv/Clean System Files/StdBool.abc':

$(INSTALL_STDENV_DIR)/% : %
	cp --preserve=timestamps "$<" "$@"
	chmod 644 "$@"

It looks like the source file `stdenv/Clean System Files/StdBool.abc'
for this rule has been generated, because code has been generated for StdBool.

Maybe the version of make (3.81) you are using does not correctly handle this
rule for file names with spaces ? In that case using a different (older?)
version of make will probably solve this problem.

Kind regards,

John van Groningen