[clean-list] Process starting

Hernyák Zoltán aroan at aries.ektf.hu
Wed Mar 8 20:10:51 MET 2006

>> So there is no way to start on separate threads?
> Not using Object I/O as it is implemented at the moment.
It is a really bad news.

> It still looks as if two separate programs, or a single program started
> twice, could solve your problem, in combination with a TCP/IP library.
No, there is no way, because I have to implement a kind of STUB function
in Clean, which sends its argument data to a port, and receives the result
from another port. You cannot send and receive on the same process, because
that would means a cycle with continuous checking the possibility of sending
or receiving. And this would means a strict evaulation of the result of this
STUB function, because this cycle could end only if all the result is received.
We simple cannot do that.

> Examples\chat\chat{Client|Server}.icl. This can easily be incorporated
> into the example containing newProcess that I sent you.
So what this newProcess do anyway? Won't it start a process on a separate
thread?

 > (one more thing: don't use so many #!'s, they are hardly ever necessary)
Yes, thanks, but my problem is a little bit complicated as my small example shows that.
I have to call a lot of external C functions, and must implement a real sequence, which
cannot be without #! :)

Thank you for your answers,