[clean-list] Re: Clean and the Open-Source community

Martijn Vervoort martijnv at gmx.de
Sun Jan 30 15:51:17 MET 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 04:01, you wrote:
> The other low-level part of the dynamic run-time system resides in the
> 	application itself: the decoding/encoding of the Clean's internal graph.
> It is written in x86-assembler.
>
> _Please_ tell me there is a pseudo-code version of it that says clearly
> what it's supposed to do.

There is no pseudo-code version which says what to do. Marco Pil once wrote a
PPC-version which was readable. From that source the original algorithm can
be extracted. With some knowledge of the run-time representation of Clean
programs, it is essentially a top-down traversal of the graph with some
mechanism to avoid cycles.

But the algorithm evolved to meet the requirements (complementness,
requirements of Clean's run-time system, laziness, etc.) which has certainly
not made the current algorithm more readable.