[clean-list] What is the interpretation of special entries in the timeprofile: _S.x ?

Paul de Mast demast.pjf at avans.nl
Mon Dec 20 15:33:55 MET 2004

Hello list,

Can someone explain how I should interpret the following entries in a
timeprofile:
 _S.1, _S.2 and _S.3 ?

Thanks,

Paul de Mast

ps 1. The help files for time/heap profiling seems to be missing in the
latest distribution.

ps 2. I think it is useful to extend these help files with some
explaination of these special entries and also some hints on how to use
timeprofiling to count not only the number of (strict/lazy/curried)
function calls but also to count the number of tested/succeeded
conditions:

For example by extending a guard (or other condition) with an entry and
exit condition, the number of tried/succeeded calls to this condition
can be seen in the profile:

    |    nrOfTestsForThisGuard 'x'        // add a dummy argument to
prevent inlining / optimalisation
    && guard
    && nrOfSucceededThisGuard 'x'
    = ....

where
    nrOfTestsForThisGuard _ = True
    nrOfSucceededThisGuard _ =  True

ps 3. The following entries are already explained in a previous mail by
Ronny Wichers Schreur. It would be useful to include these in the
helpfile.

    _c    = case
    _g    = guard
    _f    = filter
    _if   = if
    \     = lambda
    c     = comprehension
    g     = generator

The function name is normally followed by ;l;c where l is the line
number and c is the column number.