[clean-list] Multithreading in Clean

Brent A. Fulgham bfulgham@debian.org
Sat, 26 Jun 2004 21:50:25 -0700

Arjen van Weelden wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Unfortunately, there is not real support for threads in Clean.

[ ... ]

> Personally, i've written a thread simulation library, but it only
> supports cooperative concurrency, and does not work with Object I/O,
> and is probably not what you want.

It would be wonderful if some kind of concurrency were present in the
language.  That's one of the few areas where Clean is a bit backward.  I
don't think most of us users care if the language supports full
"processor-level" thread support.  Something like Erlang or MzScheme's
higher-level threading primitives would be just fine, at least for me.

Perhaps something like SML's concurrency model could be used as a basis?

At any rate, I'm a bit curious about your threading implementation.
Would it be possible to include it as a library in CVS?

Thanks,

-Brent