[clean-list] Clean in the Real World

Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 05 Jan 2004 16:51:42 +0100

Marco Kesseler writes (to the Clean discussion list):

> To be completely honest, I find it slightly disappointing if a
> solution encompasses Monads or similar. Disturbing too. It this
> the future of functional programming?

Tom Zielonka replies:

> After some getting used to it, Monads are a pleasure to work with.
> If there is anything in Haskell that gets in my way, it ain't Monads.

I don't think that Marco's objection is that monads are difficult to
use, but rather that their inappropriate use can lead to inelegant
programs.  Same for uniqueness typing.

As an extreme example you could add a unique state to every function
(call it Global) and let your program degenerate to an imperative one.

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur