[clean-list] Exceptions handling again

Erik Zuurbier fzuurbie@inter.nl.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:49:44 +0100 (MET)

Jenda Krynicky wrote:
"Just a very simple example ... how would you prove that your program is
going to have enough memory?"

For most regular programs it will be hard or impossible. That's why you may
need to change (improve?) your program so that you could prove it.

Jenda Krynicky also wrote:
"Exceptions allow you to handle errors at the place where the handling
makes sense, which is not necessarily the same place the errors occur.
Exceptions usualy allow you to write much nicer code, instead of passing
some status variables around and testing them all the time you just throw
an exception and somewhere several levels up in the call stack you handle
them."

This is what we all know about exception handling. Speculative evaluation
strategies (for instance Optimistic Evaluation - described in a paper by
Robert Ennals and Simon Peyton Jones) show us that you can sometimes pursue
a line of evaluation and then, for whatever reason, stop, back out and try
something else. In my opinion, large classes of what is usually seen as
exceptions, could be handled this way: when an integer overflow is
encountered, the program could back out and retry the same calculation with
an infinite precision library.

When the language supports deterministic parallellism, as one Clean
implementation by Marco Kesseler once demonstrated, alternatives to pursue
may be more abundant.