[clean-list] Clean in the Real World

Arjen van Weelden arjenw@cs.kun.nl
Wed, 10 Dec 2003 11:31:46 +0100

Brent Fulgham wrote:
>>Clean lacks exception handling though. If (a part of) an
>>application runs out of stack or heap space, the application
>>just quits.
>

> This makes some sense, since Exceptions (by their nature) are not functional.  However, from a pragmatic standpoint I wonder if their lack may make writing robust software in Clean more difficult.
>
> Does Clean provide something like the exception model proposed in Simon Peyton-Jones et. al "A Semantics for Imprecise Exceptions" (http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/imprecise-exn.htm)?

Clean 2.1 for Windows comes with a small library (Libraries\
ExceptionsWindows\StdException) that implements user-defined
(synchronous) imprecise exceptions using machine dependent ABC-code and
Dynamics. At least, it ought to implement just that, but it needs more
users to really test it. It should problably be rewritten in assembly,
incorporated into Clean's run-time system, and ported to the other
platforms.

regards,
	Arjen