[clean-list] Playing sounds

Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 09:57:26 +0100

Jerzy Karczmarczuk writes (to the Clean discussion list):

> The StdSound module in the last Clean is truncated, the call
> to WinSoundPlay  is commented out, 'playSoundFile' doesn't do
> anything. Why?

StdSound is a platform-independent module, so it doesn't look
right to call a Windows API function there. And if I look at
<http://www.cs.kun.nl/cgi-bin-st/clean/viewcvs.cgi/libraries/ObjectIO/ObjectIO/StdSound.icl>
Peter's comment for this change is: "(PA) Uniform Object I/O dd.29
juni '01.", where uniform means Mac/Windows.

> WinSOundPlay exists of course, this is an inline code. Everything
> finally goes to the winmm.dll, PlaySoundA@12.  Ugh. "The buck
> stops here"...

My guess is that if you remove the comment it will just work (only
on Windows, of course).

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur