[clean-list] Object IO queries

Alan Hutchinson alanh@dcs.kcl.ac.uk
Tue, 8 Jul 2003 09:39:11 +0100

Here are three queries about windows in the OBJECT IO library.
They arise when my Clean program is compiled and run under
Microsoft Windows XP.

1  The standard red X button at the top right of a window's title bar,
   which closes windows of most programs, seems not to work.
   Can it be made to work?
   It does not matter as long as the window has some other means of
   being closed, such as a working "Quit" item in a "File" menu.

2  The default size for a new window is the whole screen, but this
   causes some of it to be obscured by the MS WXP status bar at the bottom.
   Thus, any control at position LeftBottom is partly hidden.

3  Is there a way to alter the choice of set of controls in a window after
   the window has been opened?  I would like to add and remove various
   controls as the program's user works through its actions, but I cannot see
   how to do it.
   The alternative is to open a set of windows, one for each choice of set
   of controls, and make the appropriate window active each time the set of
   visible controls should change.  This should work, but it seems
   rather elaborate since each window requires a separate process, and the
   contents, positions and looks of corresponding controls in different
   windows have to be matched.

With thanks for any suggestions
Alan

--