[clean-list] Alcimar-Paschoarelli's paper

Marco Kesseler m.wittebrood@mailbox.kun.nl
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 14:22:23 +0100

>The C++ programs were written by Dr. Jamil Salem Barbar.
>Nobody in the project is enthusiastic about Clean or functional
>programming. Even so, everybody agrees that (at least for signal
>processing) Clean:
>
>1- is as fast as C.
>2- uses less resources than the other languages, even C.
>Dr. Jamil, who  performed the tests, do not know how to
>program in Clean, and don't like functional programming.
>However, he was amazed to see how stingy the Clean compiler is.

Are these referring to the speed and resources of the compiler, or to
those of the resulting programs? Are we talking about C or C++ here?

>3- The debuging of the C and Matlab versions of the programs
>took months. The Clean  prototype (using Zermelo-Frankel)
>worked right away and the Clean final version (iterative)
>was running after one week.

Now I am really wondering why nobody in the project is enthousiastic
about Clean. What is there not to like? Is this largely a matter of
taste? Did they start with C and then rewrote the program in Clean?

What were the differences between the Clean prototype and the final
version? (I don't know what iterative means here).

>I recommend that you people  take a look at this interesting paper
>for more details.

I am afraid that I will not be able to have a look at it, unless it
is online somewhere.

regards,
Marco Kesseler