[clean-list] Problems & Clean on FreeBSD

Bernard van Gastel bvgastel@bitpowder.com
Sat, 23 Nov 2002 22:22:59 +0100

Hi all,

I tried to compile Clean on FreeBSD, but there are no instructions. In
the mailing list archive I saw a message stating I need a working clean
compiler (clm) to compile Clean (is there no bootstrap clean compiler?).
I compiled the '/CleanTools/clm' clm app, and using that clm I executed
the '/Compiler/make.linux.sh' to look if I could make a FreeBSD version
with a little tweaking, but I get an error message:

> clm: can't start the clean compiler: No such file or directory

Furthermore I tried to using the linux 'clm' (using FreeBSD Linux
emulation, compares to a Red Hat 7.1 system). But when I compile _any_
program I get many 'undefined reference' errors in the linking phase (to
'stdout' '_IO_putc', 'stin', 'stderr', '_IO_getc') in the '_startup.o'
file. I have glibc 6 installed.

I am currently unable to develop Clean programs on my home computers (a
Mac OS X box (no classic env) and 3 FreeBSD boxes), so I wonder about
the status of the Clean ports to different platforms. Or if someone can
help me..

Bernard van Gastel