[clean-list] Re:Clean Wish List: My old major wish...

F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net
Wed, 16 Oct 2002 09:34:59 UT

--_----------=_103476089914962

Valery wrote:
> However, I think there should be clear understanding that both Pentium
> and PCs based on it (as a excellent representative of nowadays
> architectures) are far from being a natural solution concerning
> hardware architecture for the graph rewriting.
> ...especially parallel one.

Functional programming developments once concentrated also on devising totally new hardware configurations. That stopped when important breakthroughs took place in compiler design, was it in the 1980's? They opened up the perspective of acceptable preformance for functional language programs on ordinary hardware. What we now need is practical solutions, so they should be based on available and afordable hardware. I think the Clean team are doing a good job. When the need for implicit parallellism becomes ever more clear, and one bright researcher finds a way to implement it, we'll get it. Until then, we'll dream on...

Regards Erik Zuurbier
--_----------=_103476089914962--