[clean-list] strong root normal form

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:48:23 +0200

F.S.A.Zuurbier wrote:

> When I change a let to a strict let, I think I am saying to Clean:
> DO it! Actually reduce this! Really! Go on, don't hesitate!
>
> But then there are still cases where the beast does not seem to do anything.
> I guess because the result was not needed in the function's output. But
> then, what was the strict let for, as opposed to the 'lazy' let?

I had such a behaviour as well, but it was discovered only trying to trace
the execution (by hand). I deduced that if the answer is never used, then
strictness or not strictness, the generation/reduction becomes a dead code
anyway, so I cannot protest that it has been optimized away. Is there
something wrong with this reasoning?

Jerzy Karczmarczuk