[clean-list] 64 bit Clean?

Brian Rogoff bpr@artisan.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 08:56:26 -0700

Hi,
    Is there a port of Clean to any 64 bit architectures? If so, how will
the larger integer types be dealt with? I'm asking mostly because I'm
concerned about the limitation on file sizes.

    It's a tiny bit troubling that there is only a single Int type in the
current version of Clean. While I realize it isn't scientifically
interesting, it would be useful (well, to me anyways) if there were just a
few more basic types (Int16, Int32, Int64, Double, etc.). While it's clear
that one could always use the larger type to contain values of the smaller,
this would be very wasteful in arrays.

    No doubt this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it in the
archives.

-- Brian