[clean-list] newbie

Marco Kesseler m.kesseler@aia-itp.com
Tue, 7 May 2002 11:44:39 +0200

> Note also that the "Concurrency" referred to in the name is deterministic
> parallelism -- there may be more than one thing executing at the same
time,
> but the value computed is always the same -- not the kind of
nondeterministic
> concurrency where you have explicit threads which can send each other
messages
> that arrive in a nondeterministic order, depending on which thread
happened
> to get executed first, and thus possible effecting the end result.

I don't think that the Cleans 'Concurrency' necessarily refers to that. If
you consider the {I} and {P} annotations, then yes, but I think the term
mostly refers to the ability to do concurrent graph rewriting, deterministic
or not.

> This use of terminology is unfortunately a bit in conflict with the way
> some other groups use the word "parallelism" to denote the deterministic
> form, and reserve the term "concurrency" for the nondeterministic variety.

The term 'concurrency' has come into play because 'parallelism' is sometimes
used for parallel systems that use non-concurrent evaluation schemes (for
processes that run on the same processor).  I think it would be wrong to
assume that concurrency means non-determinism. Non-determinism means
non-determinism.

> For mobile agent simulation, you might be looking for the nondeterministic
> variety.  I guess it depends on what kind of simulation you are doing and
> why.

regards,
Marco

Aia Software B.V.                     Phone :  +31 24 371 02 30
PO Box 38025                          Fax   :  +31 24 371 02 31
6503 AA Nijmegen                      URL   :  http://www.aia-itp.com
The Netherlands
This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are addressed. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify
the postmaster (postmaster@aia-itp.com). The authenticity of this
message cannot, at this moment, be guaranteed by ourselves. For this
reason no legal rights may be granted should the contents differ to
the original sent message. The Aia log-file of sent messages is deemed
to be the sole, true transcript of communication unless the contrary,
other than the received message, can be proven.