[clean-list] Wish list, part 3

Marco Kesseler m.wittebrood@mailbox.kun.nl
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 11:26:45 +0200

>There's only one language family I use regularly where "all symbols are
>separated by whitespace (and brackets)", and that's Lisp.  Lisp can get
>away with it because it has *no* infix operators.  x+y might as well be
>a symbol because there isn't anything else it could be.

By the way, I do think that it makes sense to forbid something as
'x+y' as an identifier. The syntax that Matt Lye proposed (FunnyChar
[AnyChar] FunnyChar) seems quite usable, but I do not know whether it
is feasible. Zero or more FunnyChars at either end may be even more
usable, and not less feasible.

So in the end, the remaining question may be: if 'x+y' is not an
identifier, should it be an expression, or should it be rejected
altogether?

regards,
Marco