[clean-list] Clean's answer to the Functional Achilles-heel

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 03:57:00 +1100

On 27-Dec-2001, Mark Phillips <mark@austrics.com.au> wrote:

> The Achilles-heel of functional programming seems to be interaction
> with the outside world.
> I realize that the various schools of Functional/Logic thought have
> implemented mechanisms attempting to overcome these difficulties, but
> if I understand correctly, none of the current solutions is entirely
> statisfactory.  Each proposed solution has its drawbacks.  No approach
> has emerged to be _the_ answer.

It's true that no single approach has emerged to be _the_ answer,
but calling it "the Achilles-heel" is way too strong.
All of the different approaches are certainly adequate.