[clean-list] About C/Clean examples

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 12:00:16 +1300 (NZDT)

I've lost the message where someone asked for help with Clean style
because he was providing some examples to compare C with Clean.

I've got a suggestion for a different set of examples.

There's a book about the Personal Software Process.
There is a series of programs to write.

Victor Putz worked through that book and wrote a book-length set of
web pages about it, including the programs he wrote.  He used C++
and Eiffel, which is how I came to hear about it in an Eiffel mailing list.

I've written Haskell code for the first few problems.
    C++  Eiffel  Haskell	Task
1.  78   58      8		Read numbers, compute and print mean and
				standard deviation, using a linked list.
2.  183  81      22		SLOC counter for the language you're using

I don't have SLOC counts for the remaining C++ and Eiffel programs, but
the relative sizes are pretty much like this throughout.

This was Haskell, not Clean.  But developing Clean solutions for these
programs should be an interesting task.