[clean-list] Communicating with other programs

Brian Rogoff bpr@bpr.best.vwh.net
Sat, 17 Nov 2001 02:02:33 +0000 (GMT)

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Martijn Vervoort wrote:
> Hi Siegfried and other subscribers of the mailing list,
> > Martijn Vervoort martijnv@cs.kun.nl schrieb:
> >
> > >I personally would welcome more user involvement. I and other Clean-team
> > >members have
> > >already offered some support for those who actually want to change the
> > >situation in the past.
> > >For the time being, it is up to the Clean-users to provide the necessary
> > >manpower to help
> > >realise these ideas.
> >
> > I think there is one strategy: make a call in comp.lang.functional (it is
> not said that every
> > comp.lang.functional reader and Clean user also reads the
> Clean-mailinglist). And then you can
> > take them literally with their love to Linux and whether they want to
> improve the situation  or
> > not.
>
> It has been tried on this mailing-list. We got one response from Brain
> Rogoff who volunteered to
> do some 'grunt'-work. That were all the responses...

I'm certainly not motivated by any love of Linux, and I thought I made it
clear that I think Unix sucks, though, like democracy, its better than
most of the alternatives. However, I have more than enough windmills to
tilt at, so if the Clean team isn't interested in releasing the compiler
sources, and isn't interested in the Unixes, and there are no other
volunteers who are intimately familiar with the ObjectIO library and
willing to take a lead role, I'll tilt at something else.

I reject the notion that anything has been tried with respect to Linux.
That's simply ridiculous. When the compiler sources are available and we
can build Clean from source on a number of platforms, you can start
whining about the laziness of the Linux community. As that appears less
and less likely to happen, I'll waste my time programming in, and
promoting, something else.

I have Clean installed on a Windows machine, but since I rarely even start
up Windows any more I don't have much use for Clean. That's kind of sad,
since I really preferred Clean to Haskell, but the Clean developers have
the right to set their own priorities.

-- Brian