[clean-list] Communicating with other programs

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at
Fri, 16 Nov 2001 09:26:41 +0100

>NML is currently aimed at image processing for space based missions, and we
>do tons of 2-D FFT processing on large images. We utilize the Intel Math
>Kernel Library 1-D FFT's wrapped in a multithreaded DLL that performs
>parallelized 2-D FFT's. On my lowly 350 MHz PII with Win/NT 4.0 I get
>approximately 18 MButterflys/sec from NML (1024x1024 2-D complex FFT in
>about 1.1 sec.) On our quad Xeon at work we get closer to 200
>MButterflys/sec.

We should really start the project. I am astonished that IDL is not faster
(2.2sec). That said. Clean takes for a 2d FFT (a simple straightforward-code)
2.5sec on a 450MHz Mac (according to J. v. Groningen). So there is maybe the
opportunity for some improvements. But I think 1.1 or 3sec is not really
important, at a first glance.

As we talked it privately it is a good idea do have a leader. And David McClain
is predistined for that task. First there should be a requirement-schedule and
how the work can be sliced. And especially which platform should become
supported. Is it possible to deliver for the Macintosh, Windows, and Unix?

And the next step? GUI layout? Will it be a good idea to include linAlg C
functions and hope in turn that when time goes on people will supersede it with
their own Clean-native routines?

Or should we concentrate (at first) on the plotting library alone? And
implementing numerical stuff later?

>So, any takers?

Everybody interested in should take the chance.

Whom it may concern: If you are intimidated by the fact that you can also buy
Clean commercially and now are wondering why you should contribute to their
Porsches and Ferraris, then it is time to take a contemplation (for yourself)
and answer honestly the following question:

Do you really believe that Perl or Python (or, or...) addicts do not contribute
to industry, if Perl or Python is open source, even? Surely, you can consult the
GPL licence terms but without the Perl or Python hype by all this programmers
maybe no fortune500-company woul ever thinking on using Perl or Python. In open
source you often do not contrubute with source-code but with hype instead.

S. Gonzi