[clean-list] Matrix timings

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 09:34:47 +0100

Sven-Bodo Scholz sbs@informatik.uni-kiel.de, writes:

>Clean-solution: John's solution posted Nov 2000 (complete version at the end of this posting)

>all timings on a SUN UltraSPARC 450MHz:

>size     Clean-time (s)        SAC-time (s)

>300x300      0.8                  0.3
>1000x1000   63.5                 33.4

This is way better (for Clean) than I might expect. I thought for a
really tuned (heavily inlined) C code the figures would be different
(more in favor of C). I assume your C code is inlined. (I could not
really follow it; typically C, exactly?). Repeat the above with readable
(simple, straightforward C code and the scene will slightly change).

The above results makes Clean (at least for me) even more
sympathically).

Thanks for the results,
S. Gonzi
[PS: Why do you believe -- on your homepage -- SAC is a functional
language? Okay, I did not scrutinize it too much, because when I see a
disguised C syntax I have to cancel.]