Betr.: [clean-list] Clean and plotting, etc. ...[loooongish]

M.Kesseler@aia.nl M.Kesseler@aia.nl
Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:31:38 +0200

Sorry that my previous message ended so abruptly. Wrong button. We recently
moved to Lotus Notes for our e-mail. It's not easy to get used to... sigh.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk wrote
>   * Hidden entity removal. Z-buffer, or silly Painter, or what not...
>   * Colour and lighting procedures, Gouraud/Phong interpolation, etc...
>
>   Again, I could continue... But it has nothing to do with the main
religious
>   issues on this mailing list, I assure you only that Clean is a VERY
GOOD
>   language to program such stuff.

I agree. Apart from the JPEG stuff, I have done some work on Clean code for
reading/writing PDF's, and I suspect it would have been far more difficult
if
I had used C/C++. Nice thing about such an approach is that you can leave
(or postpone) many rendering details to Acrobat Reader, and deal with the
graphical objects at a higher level.

A framework that deals with SVG might also be nice... (Similar imaging
model as
PDF).

> A lot of more work is needed, such as low-pass filtering (for
downsizing),
>  JPG and PNG input/output. (The JPG stuff exists independently, see Clean

>  contributions, but it should be reworked a bit.)

There is plenty of room for improvement in de JPEG code. However, I doubt
whether these pixel-level manipulations are the kind of thing that Clean
is most suited for. For me, Clean was nice to learn a bit about the JPEG
format.

regards,
Marco

Aia                                     Phone: +31 24 371 02 30
PO Box 38025                   Fax:   +31 24 371 02 31
6503 AA Nijmegen             Email: M.Kesseler@aia.nl
The Netherlands                URL:  http://www.aia.nl
This E-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
are adressed. If you have received this E-mail in error please notify
the postmaster (postmaster@aia.nl). The authenticity of this message
cannot, at this moment, be guaranteed by ourselves. For this reason no
legal rights may be granted should the contents differ to the original
sent message. The Aia log-file of sent messages is deemed to be the
sole, true transcript of communication unless the contrary, other
than the received message, can be proven.