[clean-list] ObjectIO1.2.1 Library Bug-Refreshing MDI Windows ?

Fabien Todescato f.todescato@larisys.fr
Wed, 29 Aug 2001 10:57:55 +0200

Dear Cleaners, and ObjectIO1.2.1 practitioners,

Using the latest release of the ObjectIO1.2.1 library, I have noticed the
following - minor - bug concerning the refresh of the windows of a MDI
application running under W2000 and WNT4.0.

When the menu command <Window><Tile Vertically> or <Window><Tile
Horizontally> are invoked, it may happen that, although the windows are
redimensionned as expected, their content is not immediately refreshed.
Thus, the users sees one window suddenly duplicated, while some others seem
to have disappeared. When however the user interacts again with the
incorrectly refreshed window, for example by resizing it or scrolling within
it, the content is again correctly refreshed.

In my application, I set the Bool attribute attached to the WindowLook
function to False, so that the WindowLook function has full control over the
redrawing of the window view frame, as explained in the ObjectIO
documentation. Seeking somewhat haphazardly the cause of my troubles, I
tried setting that Bool attribute to True, so that the ObjectIO framework
decides on the part of the window view frame to be redrawn. I got a similar
behaviour of incorrecly refreshed window, except now that the refreshing was
incorrect for some areas of the windows, and correct for others.

I have observed at rare times in the IDE a similar refresh problem for part
of windows when a new window is popped up, and I suspect that somehow the
ObjectIO framework loses or incorrectly transmits refresh messages to
Windows, but this is only speculation. More likely is that somewhere in my
application I have commited some blunder that causes the refresh to be
delayed in some cases. I suspect either the incorrect use of lazyness, or of
a bad option in the Windows Look function attributes.

Although a little surprising, that bug is minor and doesn't prevent the user
from exploiting my application, but I think it might be worth putting the
problem to your attention.

Best regards, Fabien TODESCATO