[clean-list] Re: Newbie here...

Royi Eltink royi@eastsite.nl
Fri, 24 Aug 2001 16:33:40 +0200

--------------7A24541E5890B55BEBC30708

Siegfried Gonzi wrote:

> Royi Eltink royi@eastsite.nl wrote:
>
> > - Is Clean better than Perl or C? (and why)
>
> There is no programming language which is best. I know a guy who swears he is at most productive with Assembler. On the other side I have been never understood what people leads when they use Perl
> or C. The pointer arithmetic in C is such an insane thing I cannot express. There is absolutely no sign that a programmer is a good programmer when he understands pointers. A programming language

This thing you mean? ( C )
char *tmp = "ani";
char *fnam = "me";
char *bla = malloc(strlen(tmp) + strlen(fnam) + 1);
strcpy(bla, tmp);
strcat(bla, fnam);
tmp = bla;

In Perl it is like this:
my $tmp = "ani";
my $fnam = "me";
my $tmp .= $fnam;

But your right, personally I do almost everything (except GCI) in BorlandPascal.

> > - What looks the famous "HelloWorld!" program like?
>
> module hello
> import StdEnv
>
> Start = "Hello world"
>
> > - Are there also smaller, beginners, tutorials on the net, instead the
> ones found from KUN? (its too large to print out and read relaxed, while
> waiting for the train ^_^)
>
> a) First it is a good sign that you go by train and not by car.

By car is faster, but I am not awake enough to drive in the morning.

> c) This tutorial will put you through the first days:
>
>   http://www.deene.ufu.br/clean/clean1.html

Thanks...

> S. Gonzi
> [If you downloaded a Unix/Linux or Mac version please register (it is free)  it!]

I have the Win version.

--

Ro'

East Site