[clean-list] Re: How to construct unboxed arrays of primitive types?

F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net F.S.A.Zuurbier@inter.nl.net
Thu, 23 Aug 2001 09:07:55 +0200 (MET DST)

Siegfried Gonzi wrote:

"Why in hell this overgenerous syntax-overloading? "Let" is a next example of that. "

If you mean that
# a = expression
would be the same as
let a = expression

Well, not quite.
If the expression contains a, it refers to the lefthand a in the same line (let) or in a lefthand a in a previous line (#).

If you mean that we could do without 'let' or without 'where', I think we could do without 'where', which is probably a relic fom the times that functional programming was a purely declarative toy for mathematicians. Now that we more and more think in procedural terms and want to program quickly, hieroglyphs like #,  .a, && and * become more appropriate. Besides, they serve to distinguish the insider from the layman.

Regards Erik Zuurbier