[clean-list] Re: HUGS Equivalent in Clean

Ronny Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Thu, 19 Jul 2001 15:11:09 +0200

[To Iain McNaughton <iain.mcnaughton@glassbeadassociates.com>,
 I forgot to cc: clean]
Dear Iain,

Thanks for your interest in Clean.

You wrote:

>My colleagues and I have been using Haskell in our work, generally
>through the HUGS system. We have also been looking at Clean, though
>so far in a rather general way. Our question is this: is there an
>equivalent to HUGS for Clean ? If so, does it work under Wintel ?

We don't have an interpretor like Hugs. However the fast compile
times and the integrated development environment (available for
Wintel) make for a very short edit/compile/run cylcle (well under
a second for medium sized modules).

>We'd also be interested to hear about the experiences of other
>people who have learnt a bit of Haskell, and have then moved to
>Clean: is it an easy jump to make ?

I think you'll find Clean very similar to Haskell. The module system
is different and there are some minor syntactical differences, but
most everything you've learned about Haskell will also apply to
Clean.

>Finally, do you have any specific pointers to information about
>"uniqueness typing", other than the brief notes we've found on your
>website ?

The most accessible source is probably the Clean reference manual
(see <http://www.cs.kun.nl/~clean/Manuals/manuals.html>). Paragraph
4.5 deals with uniqueness typing. For more background see the
papers on uniqueness typing from our research group at <http://www.cs.kun.nl/~clean/Research/publications/publications.html>.

With kind regards,

Ronny Wichers Schreur