[clean-list] Clean 2.0 compiler ?

Brian Rogoff bpr@best.com
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 09:01:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001, rinus plasmeijer wrote:
> We are working on many other things at the same time: dynamic linking, the IDE
> for the Mac, object IO for the Mac,  adding support for dynamics in the 2.0
> compiler, support for strict lists, an integrated proof system which uses the
> 2.0 compiler as front end, a graphical editor, and so on.

Why not just release the core language compiler without all of this
stuff? Apparently, there are a few people who are using Clean on Unix or
Linux, and since those people won't get any of this stuff even when you
do release Clean 2.0, there is no point in making them wait for
things that they'll never get. Besides, it is the Linux community that is
most likely to be helpful with your manpower problem.

It's very strange to me that all of this work is going on for the Mac when
some Clean folks mentioned that there were "far more" Linux users. I guess
you must use Macs a lot at K.U.N. Unfortunately (for Clean), it means that
Unix and Linux users are really better served by other language
implementations in spite of Clean's excellence as a language design.

-- Brian