[clean-list] how to change heap size

John van Groningen johnvg@cs.kun.nl
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:23:02 +0000

Sven Eric Panitz wrote:
>Is there a way to change the maximal heap size of a Clean program
>without recompiling it? I remember there was once a tool to do this
>on the Macintosh.

Yes, this tool is included with Clean 1.3.3 for the Macintosh, however it
is not available for windows because it is more difficult to implement this on
windows.

>Is there a way to do this on Windows? Best of course would be
>a command line option for clean programs, to give the runtime
>system maximum heap size, like it is known for the Java interpreter
>or from Haskell compilers.

There is a command line option for clean programs on windows (and unix)
to set the maximum heap size. Use '-h size' where 'size' is the size in bytes.
'k' or 'm' can be appended for sizes in kilobytes or megabytes. For example
to use a heap of 1 megabyte use one of these:

-h 1m
-h 1024k
-h 1048576

Regards,